Google

Monday, June 15, 2015

The ties that bind, without any ties

Today was an interesting day. Two of my classmates from my Northwestern Ph.D. days, Jim and Mike, came to my house around 11:30. It has been thirty plus years since we we had cubicles in the sub-basement of the Tech building- perhaps it was the fact that there were no windows that darkened our outlook on life. After thirty years, we have aged, and so has the relationship. Mike has become a master gardener, and as is his wont, has acquired a vast range of knowledge about plants and animals. Mike has always been very compassionate, and it has been very interesting to see his growth. Jim and I started at NU at the same time, and over the years he has become family to me. I took up runnig because of Jim. My mom was very happy to see Jim, and gave him a warm hug.
Over the course of my twenty seven year career, I have met many people, and worked with hundreds of people, but the NU classmates were the brightest of the bunch- my best conversations are with them!
I wear a tie when I am teaching, but then I don't think either Jim or Mike wears one.

No comments: