Google

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Housing versus lattes, Australian version

Not buying lattes won't help me buy a house | Bridie Jabour | Comment is free | theguardian.com: "When a house in my crappy street in a fairly crappy Sydney suburb sold for more than $900,000 a few months ago, I shrugged and threw the flyer triumphantly announcing the sale in the bin. Owning a home in a city like mine is as remote to me as getting a seat next to Lady Gaga on the first commercial space flight. And that would be a hell of a lot cheaper anyway.

I could not afford the tiny 130-year-old two bedroom townhouse that I call home – with its leaky roof and absolute lack of built-in cupboard space – even if I wanted to, which is a melancholy inducing thought. I don’t like to dwell on my likely-to-be-eternal lack of home ownership too often, because what's the point? It is just a fact of my life, like having to put on sunscreen at 6.30am before I go outside for 15 minutes if I want to avoid burns. I can deal with it, but it doesn't stop for being irked at home-owners thinking I could own a decent place, if I really wanted to."

'via Blog this'

No comments: