Google

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Art of writing warm stories

The unseasonal cold. How seasonal - People | Popular Stories, Obituaries &More | The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 15, 2013: "Still, it wasn’t all grim back in the day, was it? We had the Americans to look at, with their tooting flutes and pompoms and solid thighs in 15-denier nylons and prancing patent-leather boots. God, you would have killed a badger with your bare hands or swept the moss off the Skellig needles to have been an American in those hungry days.
Those pompommed girls from Annapolis and Illinois, with their big shiny teeth and elastic gum-chewing jaws, were like another species to my childhood eyes. They were like big oxygen-breathing Crolly dolls.
I met one of them when I was on a train with my mother; we were on our way to visit my grand-aunt in Killarney. “Are you going on vacation?” the American asked me. She had a polo-neck and cheekbones and tassels on her shoulder bag; I couldn’t take my eyes off her. I’d never heard the word. “No,” I replied. “We’re going on holidays.”"
Anyway, enjoy, as our Stateside cousins will no doubt implore. Have a nice day and pack an extra pair of socks and a bikini; in this weather, you can’t afford to put all your asps in one basket.

'via Blog this'

No comments: