Google

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stroll(er)Obesity

The country's obesity problem is 'wide'ly known these days. The fact that the obesity problem has afflicted food (giant burgers), housing (McMansions), transportation (Chevy Yukon/Cadillac Escalade) is also well-known. That the obesity problem has spread to Strollers hit this blogger right in the knees when he was out running. He was stymied by a wide stroller that occupied the entire width of the walk/run path, with the lady of the stroller also walking a dog alongside the stroller.

A quick search on Amazon yielded one example of a "middle of the line" stroller. The feature set on the stroller is quite filling...
/* Bold face and Italics are mine and are not present in the original source material. The reviewer, however, is responsible for abuse of the language by using the contraction It's in place of the possessive Its */

Amazon.com: Stroll-Air DUO 4 Wheel Double Twin Baby Stroller: Baby: "FEATURES: - lightweight aluminum cassis - two independent reversible seats - front and back suspension - two seperate hoods with sun protection extension - full reclining seats - adjustable footrest - adjustable, removable fron bars - quick release wheels - 360 rotating front wheels with locking mechanism - large shopping basket - adjustable handle height - mesh vent in hoods - 5 point adjustable safety harness INCLUDES: - aluminum chassis - 2 stroller seats - 2 hoods - 2 foot covers - Diaper bag - 2 mosquito nets - 2 rain covers and pump
WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS:- Stroller chassis 13 lbs (18 lbs with wheels) - Stroller seat: 4 lbs - Stroller seat with wheels, seats and hoods 26 lbs - Width: 29 inches - Handle height adjustable from 27 to 44 inches - Folded Size: 29x29x10 inches - Backrest Height: 22 inches - Footrest Length: 11 inches - Seat Width: 12 inches - Seat Depth: 8 Inches - Seat to Hood Top: 24 inches

If one is curious about the requirements of the Strollerolling moms, the following review from Amazon provides great food for thought.
/* Bold face and Italics are that of the blogger and are not present in the original source material. The Amazon reviewer, however, is responsible for abuse of the language by using the contraction It's in place of the possessive Its */

The Stroll-Air My Duo Stroller is a side by side stroller that can go the full distance for twins. With the purchase of high and low car seat adapters, it can take two car seats for all those store and doctor visits. It can be used without car seats from day one with infants too, thanks to it's full recline seats. It even has optional basinette / carry cots. In fact, it goes beyond what I dared to dream about in a stroller, with it's the ability to reverse the seats. Face both little ones forward, face both little ones to the rear, or face one forward and one rear so they can essentially face one another. Reversing the seats is easy too. Presto Chango. In merely seconds you press the buttons, pop it off, flip it, and pop it back on.

So what else did I want in my fantasy stroller? I wanted it light yet sturdy, compact and easy to fold yet roomy enough and comfortable, easy to push, and easy to keep organized. Oh and since this is a fantasy and all; let's throw in sturdy rain covers, bug netting, foot muffs, positionable foot rests, fully adjustable seat backs, mesh vented generous sun shades, an adjustable height stroller handle and fully rotating yet lockable wheels. Throw in a matching high quality diaper bag with both shoulder and stroller straps too.

While I dared to dream, the people at Stroll-air were clearly waving their magic wands and chanting bippity boppity or something because the Stroll-Air My Duo is pretty much a dream come true for twin parents. It has everything I listed above and probably a few more I've neglected to mention.

Since it was sent to me by Stroll-Air for review, I've been putting this double stroller through the ringer with the help of my twins of course. I've taken it to track meets, Target, the Zoo, muddy fields, grassy back yards, all about the neighborhood, and right inside the front door of my home. The stroller handled each space and place wonderfully. And I'm happy to confirm that at 29 inches wide, it fits through any standard doorway without issue. It's two 12-inch foam tires in back, and two 8-inch foam tires in front are more then adequate for any place I've explored with it, but if you are into really serious off-roading air tires are an add-on said to be coming soon.

While I was in the process of writing this review, I received an email from someone considering this stroller that had a few questions. One of her concerns was with the width of the seats being adequate for a 2-3 year old child. You'll note in my included pictures that my twins are just shy of that 2 year mark and have plenty of room still. I've also included a picture of my 9 year old daughter sitting in it. She's well beyond the weight requirements and stroller riding stage but I thought this photo (for demonstration purposes only) might help people with sizing perspective. I find it adequate for a child up to the weight limits of this stroller.

There are several add-on options available and more to come. I'd highly suggest the Stroll-Air Double Stroller Universal Organizer. You can use it to organize and carry a variety of items and it was a total life-saver when we took our recent trip to the zoo. I think I had 6 cups in it at one point.

A deal breaker for me (with any stroller) would be if it didn't fit in the back of my 3 row Buick Enclave without the need to fold down a row of the car. I have 5 children in total and need ever single seat. I'm also not a fan of having to pop the seats or wheels off the stroller chassis each time I run in some place for two seconds. The moment of truth came and the Stroll-Air My Duo passed. Positioned on it's side it fits in the back of my car (wheels and seats on) it fits with enough room for a diaper ba
g and a couple other small items. The fold is a touch tricky the first couple times but both hubby and I have got it down now.

No comments: