Google

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The entire world has lost a luminary in Prof. Keith McKee

Prof. Keith McKee, Director of Industrial Technology and Management at IIT (Chicago) passed away on Saturday May 1st. I met him fortuitously a few years ago. Over an early dinner he convinced me to create a course on E-Commerce. We had several discussions over lunch and dinner since then. A couple of years ago he organized a virtual program on Supply Chain Management for professionals in four locations in China- the program was done through real-time video over high bandwidth links. I taught a module in that program. After the program we had dinner one evening and I remember Keith telling me that he appreciated my patience wit h students- I would wait for quite a while and force the Chinese students to participate in discussions. Last year Keith and I had a number of discussions about Industrial Engineering- what it was about and what should be taught in an IE course. I learnt a lot about Keith and his manufacturing background during those dinners. Keith was great at getting people to define their vision, and then implement that vision. Very skillfully he motivated me to volunteer and try my hand at the IE course. Unfortunately before I could show him my course outline and topics and get his views, he passed away.

Keith dedicated his entire life to education and students. He was indefatigable, full of energy, and his observations were always insightful and penetrating. I have never met anyone as committed to education as Keith. Students in the E-Commerce courses I have taught raved about Keith and the support he gave them in the program. His passion for education and supporting students was remarkable and difficult to emulate. He was always concerned about providing a well-trained employee base for industry. Last year he proposed ideas for conducting special events to get high school students excited about logistics and supply chain management. Keith was lively and entertaining, and we always had great conversations. I would always leave every meeting with Keith thinking 'If only I had a fraction of his energy and passion!" His approach was scientific- to experiment and try- and he looked at every experience as an opportunity for learning.

Prof. McKee, I am blessed and very fortunate to have met you. I, like many others, will miss you deeply. I hope you are happy and joyous, wherever you are, and working as hard as ever.

No comments: