Google

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

An Un"guarded" Moment

For the past few weeks I have been staying at a gated condo complex in Gurgaon. This complex has 24/7 security, with guards at the gate, and at the entrance to the condos. I have come to know the guards quite well, especially those that work the night shift. When I go out to run early in the morning I stop and say hello and have a little chat with the security folks.

This evening, I went out for a short walk, and as I was returning, one of the guards came by and complimented me in chaste Hindi. At that moment, I wished that I had learnt my Hindi well, or at least that I had my brother with me to translate. The guard said that there was no sign of arrogance or status-driven pride in me, and that I was humble. He was quite emotionally moved- it was one of the nicest expression of gratitude, and I was quite moved myself. I had done nothing exceptional, but had treated him and others just like I would treat any of my "well-to-do" friends- with respect.
Moments like these bring some welcome joy and relief- when it has become so easy to lose good friendships and love over rather trivial matters or fears.

No comments: