Google

Thursday, June 11, 2009

An Academic Day

Today was one of my "First Year Student Advising" days, where I meet with fresh-men and women and guide them in selecting courses for their first term in College. I had five students today, and all were planning to major in some aspect of Business. We met over lunch, and during the introductions I asked the students to say what they do for fun, or what their fun activity was. The usual answers include some sports activities, but the most popular one is "hanging out with friends." For the first time in my five years here, a student Kathryn said "I like academics and studying is fun for me." For a professor, it is like listening to a Bach Concerto. Even though I have had some great students graduate and leave, students like Kathryn will be excellent advisees the next few years.

No comments: