Google

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Looking Forward

I came to the United States of America in 1983, and this fall completed 25 years of life in the U.S. I have learnt a lot, and have met many wonderful people. The 1980s were difficult as I worked on finishing my doctorate. It really took a lot out of me. In 1990 I lost my father- that was traumatic. The mid to late 90s were good professionally but were difficult personally. 2001-2003 were very stressful years in my career as the telecommunications industry imploded.

I expect that 2009 and the next few years are going to be stressful as well. Educational institutions will face a decline in enrollments, both due to demographic shifts and due to financial issues faced by parents and students. Some colleges will close. Schools will have to be innovative and deliver real value. While I am tenured, the critical question facing all faculty members is- what should we train the students in, and how? What will let them function fruitfully in these times? Training and experience is sometimes not enough to answer this question- wisdom is required. Here's hoping that Obama, his team, other leaders, and faculty and administrators everywhere have the wisdom that is wisely needed.

No comments: