Google

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Message about Messaging

The carriers have us where they want us- on their fingertips.

Of late, I have been a bunch of spam text messages on my mobile. These messages originate both from email sources and from phone numbers.
I called my carrier and complained that I was being charged for messages that I had no control over and did not want to receive.
My choices?

  1. Block all messages, inbound and outbound. This is clearly not an attractive option.
  2. Block all messages from email sources. This is better than the previous option.
  3. Do nothing.
The part that gets me is that the carrier will bill me for all messages and not refund me any money for those that are spam.
Having worked in telecommunications, I know how the game is played. Funny thing is that for the carriers, transmitting a text message has almost 0 incremental cost.

1 comment:

teaparty said...

As you point out: "Funny thing is that for the carriers, transmitting a text message has almost 0 incremental cost."

That exactly is one reason why the carriers have such costly "sorry"-over-your-limit pricing structures for text messages.

And another reason: Text messaging is currently a cannot-live-without fashion need for young customers?